Counting my steps to the pub


What a gorgeous evening it was last night. I was walking to be pub to meet some friends and it felt really warm. I am wearing my new fitbit everywhere now and getting really into using it (just to be clear, no one has sponsored me to write this post). When I first got the fitness gadget, I was disappointed and slightly suspicious. It was a birthday present from the husband. Given that for Christmas I received "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying" by Marie Kondo, I couldn't be sure if this was another doomed effort to turn me into... well, something I clearly am not.

I have never been interested in heart rate monitors and the like, so at first I thought the fitbit was not going to be of any use to me. But I have found using it really interesting and it is definitely motivating me to stay on my feet. At work if I sit down for too long, it starts to buzz and gets me to walk away from my desk for a bit. I work on the 4th floor and never before has it occurred to me to use the stairs. All those evenings when I go to bed feeling disappointed I didn't get a chance to go for a run, it's really nice to know I still managed to walk over 10 000 steps. Living in three floors at home too, I am always running up or down to get something for the kids.

Felt a lot better about having some wine in the pub, when the gadget congratulated me for walking there. Afterwards I thought it was even a good idea to walk back from the pub (in the dark) despite being offered a lift. Clearly my friends did not agree and I woke up to a text message saying: "you're a nutter!" - so maybe time I tone it down a bit with my step counting now.

Last night was also the first time we turned the horses out for the night. For me that's the best sign every year that summer is finally here :)



Comments

Popular Posts